1. Place meat cubes in pot.
2. Peel potatoes and place on cutting board. Using paring knife, cut potatoes into quarters. Add to pot.
3. Using paring knife, carefully peel onion. Cut in half on cutting board and place in pot. Peel and slice garlic. Place in pot.
4. Add salt and pepper, and optional ingredients, if you life (leave egg whole - don't crack!).
5. Cover ingredients with water. Cover pot and place on stovetop.
6. Turn on stove to medium. Once water boils, lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.
7. Turn off stove. Before Shabbat, place warm pot on covered stovetop until Shabbat lunch. YIELDS:
Enough cholent for 5-6 people.SOURCE: The Kids Kosher Cookbook: Do-It-Yourself Recipes That Kids Will Love to Cook
, by Miriam Zakon. Recipe reprinted with permission from Targum Press