Chavi Feldman of Chashmonaim, Israel contributed this Apple Glazed BBQ Chicken recipe for the autum Rosh Hashanah holiday. This chicken recipe uses apples which are both a symbol of the Jewish New Year and reflective of the season of the year.
2 whole chickens1 6-ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed1/4 cup packed brown sugar1/4 cup ketchup1 Tbsp. cider vinegar1 tsp. dried thyme or 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme1 cloves crushed garlicdash hot pepper2 green apples, cored and cut into wedges2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a large roasting pan with PAM and lay the two chickens breast-side up.
3. Combine remaining ingredients, except the apples and onions.
4. Brush half the sauce over the chicken. Tuck the onion and apple wedges around the chicken.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
6. Carefully turn chicken over and brush remaining sauce on the chicken. Bake for an additional hour, or until golden brown and juices run clear.